BRIEF OVERVIEW | BACKGROUND
One of primary ingredients in pesto sauce, salad and Italian, Thai, and Vietnamese cuisine, also known as “Saint Joseph’s Wort.”
Studies have shown that Basil contains a wide range of essential oils, rich in nutrition and phenolic compounds, polyphenols, E-Beta-CaryoPhyllene (BCP) which may be useful in treating arthritis and inflammatory bowel diseases and increase anti-aging and antioxidant activities.
Source: Why Everyone Should Eat Basil.
Sweet basil has a strong clove scent. Lime and lemon basil have a strong citrus scent.
- A form of traditional medicine
- Reduce Inflammation and swelling. Extracts of Holy basil reduce swelling by up to 73%
- Fight cancer: holy basil prevent cancer, preventing certain types of skin, liver, oral and lung cancers*
- Rich in antioxidant activity
- Help prevent some harmful effect of aging, according to British Pharmaceutical Conference (BPC)
- Potent anti-bacterial properties
- Reducing oxidative stress
- Nutrient-heavy : rich in vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin C, magnesium, iron, potassium and calcium and dietary fiber
- Calorie-light (22 per 100grams)